Monday, May 30, 2011

Zero Chance of Frost

Far be it from me
to ever brag about our weather again


I know I went on and on 
Friday
about how nice it was ~ that the sun was shining
and it was warm

well ~ by the time I left work Friday night
the temperature had dropped over 10 degrees
and the wind picked up

I ran to the car holding my sundress down
so I would not show the world
my bloomers

cold ~ cold ~ cold!!

It did warm up a bit on Saturday
but drizzle all day
so it was nice to wake up on Sunday
and see the sun
and the temps had risen substantially overnight
so what's a girl to do
plant some flowers I say

since the big guns say that there is no more chance of frost!


the neighbors flowering crab ~ love it!


So last summer I scooped up this washtub
which I told you about here

I knew from the start what I wanted to do with it


so with a little bit of soil


and an old chair back I scooped out of the 
neighbor's garbage during fall clean up


I planted some sweet peas


and some filler ~ I chose euphorbia
Stardust White Sparkle

and ta da


I cannot wait until it fills out and blooms


I had also picked up this little pot
and what better to plant in it
but a bunch of little faces!


I used my new handy dandy planter helper


I can see this baby will be on my favorite things list


the hole it leaves is the exact size for bedding plants


then you just pop it in and press the soil around it
genius I say!


so this cutie pie will get lots of love this summer
and who can resist pansies




I still have a few things I want to pick up
and if things actually dry up enough
there is some major weeding to be done
in my perennial beds

Hope you all had a wonderful week-end
and that my friends to the south are enjoying their 
holiday Monday

I am looking forward to this afternoon
as I am only working a part day today
as I am meeting up with an old friend
to share some time ~ some memories
and make some new ones

Have a great day!!



9 comments:

Jacqueline @ HOME said...

Oh Lori,
I LOVE what you've done with the washtub and the back of the chair....what a great idea. Those sweetpeas (my favourite!!) are going to look stunning. Please show us when they are in full bloom won't you? You worked really hard in your garden and it is all going to look beautiful.
Thanks so much for your lovely comment ....I just hope that I'm not going to be a Grandmother bore !! XXXX

www.thewhitefarmhouse2.blogspot.com said...

What a great idea with the wash tub. You are a genious! I never would of thought of that! Everything looks so wonderful. I love the pics that you took! I know I ask every year, but what is the bush in the first pic? I tried looking for it last year with no success. Have a great time with your friends!

Anonymous said...

i'm sorry that your weather wasn't as great as you wanted but your flowers look so wonderful! Love the old wash bin. I have one but it's planted with herbs. Enjoy your day today!

Mikal said...

ADORE the washtub and chair idea! Haven't seen the two of them together before, but it is perfect!!

Farmgirl Paints said...

well look at you. love that chair in the tub idea. so pretty! i know i never complain about the weather either;)

Anonymous said...

i cant keep my eyes of your page mmm

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

It looks like you are having fun in the dirt. . . beautiful flowers. (I loved sweet peas.)

Fondly,
Glenda

this free bird said...

yesssssssssss I love what you did with the washtub!! my mom had to go to town today and buy all new tomato plants. bloody frost wiped out the entire first crop!

kimberly said...

Love the tub, and the fact that you have been so busy in the gardens! I am envious that it has been dry enough for you to get out and do it - I am waiting for the rain to stop so that I can plant some pots~

Have a fabulous rest of your week - hope you are feeling better!
xx