Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Relish the Thought....


I like to try different things ~ step outside my comfort zone once in awhile
and although my mother in law in the one that
makes the jam and pickles in the family
I decided to give it a go this year

I made mustard relish one year
and peach freezer jam
I must have been going through a Martha phase or something

then I made hot dog relish
and it was a success ~ thankfully the recipe lasts us about 2 years
so that is a every other year kind of job 

canning is a LOT of work
especially when you work full time
outside the home and have 2 days a week
to get it all done as coming home at 6:30 and pickling
is not high on my list of things I like to do after work

so this year I thought I would make my boy's favourite relish
Chow Chow


I am not a fan but I got the recipe from my girlfriend
and decided to give it a go

it's pretty simple actually with basic ingredients
green tomatoes, onions, sugar and vinegar
easy peasy

I am pleased to say that it turned our perfectly
and tastes good too ~ so I have been told

for anyone wanting the recipe
here you go:

Chow Chow
5 1/2 lbs green tomatoes - stem ends and cores removed, sliced
1 1/2 lbs onions, cut up
1/3 cup coarse (pickling) salt
3 1/3 cups granulated sugar
4 1/2 tbsp mixed pickling spice - tied in a double layer of cheesecloth
2 tsp tumeric
2 cups white vinegar

Layer tomato, onion and salt in a large saucepan.  Cover and let stand on counter overnight.
Drain
Add 4 remaining ingredients.  Vinegar should just be a bit visible as too much will make excessive juice.  Heat until sugar is dissolved.  Bring to a boil.  Simmer uncovered stirring occasionally for 2 hours.  More tumeric can be added for colour and more sugar can be added for taste.  In order to obtain and accurate taste cool a spoonful and then sample.  
Discard cheesecloth bag.  Pour into hot prepared pint jars within 1/2 inch of top.  Place lids on jars and screw metal bands on securely.  For added assurance against spoilage, you may choose to process in a boiling water bath for 5 minutes.  Makes 4 pints ~ 8 cups. 

Trevor was not home when I made it so I ran next door for the "taste test"
I did not add any extra sugar or tumeric and the finished product is shown here.

Enjoy with any type of meat or scalloped potatoes.

Let me know if you try it ~ it's a Maritime favourite!!


2 comments:

Blondie's Journal said...

Everything sounds so good! I know canning is an arduous activity but you feel so proud of yourself once you have all those little jars lined up!

XO,
Jane

Cathi said...

It looks great, Lori!!! I hope your week has been wonderful, lovely lady! xxoo