Monday, November 26, 2012

Having the Talk


Life has a way of keeping you on your toes
that's not a bad thing however
as without the twists and turns
the ups and downs
I think that life would be pretty boring

with our parents getting older
and some of them already gone
life also has a way of bringing us full circle


to those who have been with me for awhile
know that the first of the year started with a bang
when Mom was in the hospital for almost a month
after suffering a abdominal aortic aneurysm which ruptured

before this happened and even though Dad had been gone
for 11 years ~ I did not know Mom's wishes

I know which funeral home ~ where she wants to be buried
but we talked of nothing else
did she want extreme measures ~ stuff like that

not a pleasant conversation
especially since here we are kicking off the holidays
but she is heading into the hospital for a procedure this morning
so Saturday I went over for a visit with a purpose in mind


I am happy to say that the talk went well
and my brother was also there by chance
so that was a bonus

it's great to have those open lines of communications
with those that raised us
times have changed ~ we have all grown up now
haven't we!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Busy week-end was had here
supported Small Business Saturday with some shopping
made minestone soup on Sunday


along with some Whoopie pies
with peanut butter filling ~ yum!

Hope you all had a fabulous week-end
and that the week ahead brings you joy and laughter.


5 comments:

Farmgirl Paints said...

No not a pleasant thing at all...but necessary. Praying her procedure goes well.

Cathi said...

Sending love and prayers to you and your mom! Having worked for an elder law/estate planning attorney, I have talked to my mom quite a bit about this and she always changes the subject, but I finally got her to write her wishes down. After I lost my dad and girlfriends, I made a will and told my family my wishes - it's easier to do when you're healthy. Your meal sounds delicious Lori! xxoo

GLENDA CHILDERS said...

Love your intentionality here. It is easy to let important talks slide and never really have them.

Praying your mom is well and happily recovering.

Fondly,

Glenda

Jacqueline @ HOME said...

Not a nice time for you and your family Lori but, we all have to deal with these things at some point. Hope all goes well with your mum's procedure. Much love. XXXX

WritingsForLife said...

Beautiful poem! And you have some gorgeous photographs on you blog! I'll definitely be coming back :-)