Saturday, July 5, 2014

Last of the Flock


This is one of the most painful posts I have ever written
but I feel like I need to get it out ~ document it and my thoughts and feelings

strange really since the world of social media has not been something 
I have been keeping up on the past week or so
other than a couple of Instagram posts and some time spent on Facebook


a week ago Friday my father in law ~ Lee was not feeling well
he had pain in his back and was taken to the hospital by ambulance
things went from bad to worse on Saturday and on Sunday morning
he passed away


it was sudden and honestly I think we are all still in shock
the doctors have no idea what happened other than he had a very bad infection set it
we will not know any more until the autopsy results come back 


the middle child of 5 ~ and the last one to go
over the past I heard the term used more than one
"he was the last of the flock called home"


saying goodbye to this man that welcomed me into the family from day one
that treated me like a daughter
stepped up when my own father passed away
was heartbreaking to me

he was full of life ~ teasing in a way only he could
I loved him so


my boy's heart is broken ~ I know how the pain feels
when you heart physically hurts
I am here for him and will stand by his side
give him his space when he needs it and will wrap him in a hug when he needs that too

in good times and in bad
he was there for me and now it is my turn

he told me on Sunday that now he knows how I felt
all those years ago
maybe I had to go through it first so I can help him now


so thankful for this last family photo taken on Good Friday this year
it was my birthday ~ we were celebrating Easter
surrounded by family ~ it was a very good Friday indeed


2001 ~ our wedding day
Lee with his 2 boys


one from the archives of he and Barb
it is one of my favourites


Sunday morning when we left the hospital 
we went straight to his parent's place
I was out in the garage ~ wandering and looking at all the stuff hanging on the walls
I stopped and looked at the clock hanging there
the time was stopped at almost the precise time he took his last breath
coincidence ~ maybe
but I choose to believe that he stopped in
on his way to heaven.

we had visitation on Thursday night and the funeral was yesterday
so many people ~ he was a man that was well loved
and admired
stories were told, tears were shed and laughter could be heard
it was a true celebration of his life
and after a beautiful service that fit him to a T
and a small reception ~ we went to the cemetery
and said our final goodbyes

a little later on that day ~ we raised our glasses
there is now a void in our lives that can never be filled

Rest In Peace Lee ~ I will miss you like crazy
xo


13 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so so sorry for your loss Lori, what a terrible shock for you all.

I know that you would have been a wonderful daughter in law to him, it sounds like you were very close....it's a great gift to have that kind of relationship with your in-laws, not everyone does as I am sure you know.

Lovely to see these photo, I love the one of him lying on the sofa with Trev sitting on him, very sweet.

Much love to you all, I am thinking of you Xx

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry for your loss, Lori.

mimi charmante said...

Sweet friend, this post made me teary just hearing the sadness in your words. I know you know how I feel about fathers and I can only imagine how much your hearts are hurting missing Trev's. He sounds like he was an incredible gift to your family and I am thankful that he was there all those years ago when you needed someone loving to step in and be a father to you. I am so very sorry for your loss~ Sending love to you both. x

Mikal said...

This is such a beautiful tribute - wrapping huge hugs of love around you all.

Foxanddahlia said...

My heart goes out to you and your family. Hang on to the wonderful memories, you will always have those. X

Jacqueline @ HOME said...

Oh Lori,
I'm so sorry to hear your sad news …… and, so sudden. Just try and remember how lucky you all were to have him in your lives and be strong. Much love and thinking of you and all of your family. XXXX

Leslie Harris said...

Oh Lori. I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your father-in-law, and so suddenly too. I think those are the hardest losses because we'll left reeling afterwards. We spent our wedding anniversary at a funeral last Wednesday so I can relate to the dark, sad feelings that you've been grappling with. Our 29 year old nephew died suddenly when a blood clot in his leg broke off and went into his lungs. He had scheduled a doctor appointment for the following week, never suspecting he was in danger. And as you can imagine, everyone was shocked. It was an emotionally exhausting day even though so many had come to say goodbye. So yes, I can relate to this post.
I love the photos of your father-in-law smiling. He looks like such a good man...and I hope both of you find peace in knowing how loved he was.
sending you a big hug,
xo
Leslie

Delena said...

Lori My thoughts are with you and your husband for your loss. You have wonderful memories and your tribute to him is very moving. Hugs

Delena said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
GLENDA CHILDERS said...

Ah, Lori, I am so sad to hear of your sudden loss of your sweet father.in.law. Praying for you, friend.

Fondly,
Glenda

Cathi said...

So very sad Lori - you all will be in shock for awhile at the suddenness of it all, I know I was with my dad too. I love all of these photos - so wonderful. He looked like a really loving man and my heart goes out to you all! Much love to you and Trevor! xxoo

Leslie Harris said...

thinking of you and hoping you are doing well. miss your lovely posts my friend....
xo
Leslie

Farmgirl Paints said...

Oh friend...I'm just now seeing this. I know this pain. When my honey's dad passed it was like I lost my own. So very sorry. Hugs!!!